|By Charli Lundholm
It’s that time of year when we are reminded to look at all the things we are thankful for. In our hurried lives, it is easy to lose track of what is truly important. We give a lot of energy to the stressful things in our lives, while barely focusing on the things that bring us balance, joy and harmony.It’s the perfect time to turn that around. How do we do it? How do we add something new into our already stuffed schedules? By making small changes. It’s that simple. Here are some easy steps to help you change your focus from what is causing you disharmony to those things that bring you joy. Do one or do all, the choice is yours. Small changes can bring about huge shifts in our lives.
1. Every morning do a quick thank you for your comfy bed, the fact that you have running water, clothes to wear, etc. As you are brushing your teeth, ask yourself what you are grateful for in that moment. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how many things pop into your head.
2. Write down 10 things you are grateful for and why. You can do this over breakfast, on the bus, during a coffee break. If you can’t find the time to write it down, say it out loud while you are driving. For example, “I am so grateful for my perfect health because I love feeling good.”
3. If you have that co-worker or friend who loves to share negativity with you, change the subject. Turn the conversation around. Focus on the positive. Don’t feed into, or take on, the negativity.
4. Again, focus on the positive. If you have to be around someone who irritates you, look for something, anything, positive about them. See the positive in any situation. Sometimes you have to look for the positive, but once that becomes your focus, it becomes easier to spot. The more good you see, the happier you will feel.
5. Tell people you care about how you feel. It opens your heart. The more time you spend in your heart, the less time you spend in negativity. Less negativity equals less stress. Less stress equals more joy.
6. At the end of the day, pick 3 things that stand out as the best parts of the day. Be grateful for them. Really feel the gratitude. Be grateful for the fantastic day you will have tomorrow.
These are simple techniques, but they can have a huge impact on turning your day, week, month, and life around. It boils down to where you place your focus. Likes attract likes. What do you want to attract into your life?